Saturday, August 14, 2010

Retirement Home

By Nathan D. Pietsch

Salvation?

August 7, 2010



While Dawn and I were eating breakfast with my Grandma, a man was highlighted to me. I walked over to him and introduced myself. You could see on his face that he had a lot of turmoil. I gathered some information, and found out his name is Charlie, and yesterday was his 96th birthday. He also previously worked as a card dealer in Las Vegas. I was able to find some common ground to talk about. By looking at, and talking with Charlie, it was obvious he did not have a life-giving relationship with Jesus. I felt compelled to ask him, “Can I pray for you, Charlie?”

“I guess, I don’t know why I should say, ‘No.’”

Charlie couldn’t hear very well, and I kept being prompted by the Holy Spirit to “stand in the gap,” and say the sinner’s prayer for Charlie. I said the sinner’s prayer with Charlie listening, as if I was Charlie.

I prayed for Charlie saying, “Dear Lord, please forgive me of my sins. Please come into my heart, and be Lord of my life. I choose you as my personal Lord and Savior. In the name of Jesus, Amen.”

I didn’t observe any noticeable changes in Charlie, other than he was very grateful I talked with him. I don’t remember having ever prayed for anybody in this manner before. Did Charlie just now get saved? Honestly, I don’t know. Usually I will have the person repeat the sinner’s prayer after me. In this case, I said the sinner’s prayer for Charlie while he witnessed. What I do know though, God is so gracious, and I would not be surprised if I saw Charlie in Heaven someday.

Lord, thank you for your great grace. You are so wonderful. Please deepen our relationship with You. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment